Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Encouraged by Faithful Martyrs...

In America it is easy for us to find "reasons" not to be grateful, though we honestly have very little to complain about. We live in a wonderful country but because it is so great, we often think that luxury and comfort and just an "easy life" are things that are owed to us. I know at times I have caught myself thinking that I was being "persecuted" because someone didn't think highly of me and even might have said something negative about me or my family. Yes, it can be difficult to go through a painful relationship that seems unable to be restored or to feel like you are being talked poorly about, but when I think about the early martyrs for the faith, it is difficult for me to think that I have ever really experienced persecution. I try to read Foxe's Book of Martyrs at least a few times a week (even if I can only read a page or two). It has been so convicting and encouraging lately. Seeing the incredible faith of these early Christians just makes me stand in awe. Here is a small section that I read today. I pray that it encourages you as it did me this morning...

"Blandina, a Christian lady of a weak constitution who was thought not to be able to resist torture, but whose fortitude was so great that her tormentors became exhausted with their devilish work, was afterward taken into an amphitheater with three others, suspended on a piece of wood stuck in the ground and exposed for food for wild lions. While awaiting her suffering, she prayed earnestly for her companions and encouraged them. But none of the lions would touch her, so she was put back into prison- this happened twice. The last time she was brought out, she was accompanied by 15-year old Ponticus. The steadfastness of their faith so enraged the multitude that neither her sex not his youth were respected, and they were subjected to the severest punishments and tortures. Blandina was torn by the lions, scourged, put into a net and tossed by a wild bull, and placed naked into a red-hot metal chair. When she could speak, she exhorted all near her to hold fast to their faith. Ponticus persevered unto death. When Blandina's tortures were unable to make her recant her faith, they killed her with a sword."
(Foxe's Book of Martyrs page 15,16)


Speechless.

“But I do not consider my life of any account as dear to myself, so that I may finish my course and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify solemnly of the gospel of the grace of God."
Acts 20:24


No comments:

Post a Comment