Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Four Year Old Mirror...



As Sonny and I have said so many times, parenting has been the most sanctifying thing that we have ever gone through. Daily you are surrounded with these little humans (who you absolutely love and would die for) that reveal your own struggles and strengths. In some ways it can be comical- Sonny and I crack up at how much Zoee is like him and can get so easily deterred from what she is doing by the slightest distraction. We also sit back and marvel at how much of Sonny's adventurous spirit/ love for climbing EVERYTHING that Asher has been given. It's crazy how much kids mirror their parents! With that said, there are SO many lessons that the Lord has shown Sonny and I these past four years as we have invested into our little ones. We will see something they are doing that shows us more of the love of the Father and we also see things that they do that reveal to us our own shortcomings.

Yesterday I had such an eye opening moment with the Lord as I was trying to answer ALL of my sons questions. He has been in this new phase where he wants to know everything. Here is the conversation that led to great conviction from the Lord...

Me: "Okay guys, in just a little bit we can head outside and play in the pool"
Asher:  "What are we going to do after that?"
Me: "Then we will eat lunch."
Asher: "What will we do after we eat lunch?"
Me: "After lunch we will take our rest."
Asher: "What are we going to do after we rest?"
Me: "After we rest, we are going to get the house ready for bible study."
Asher: "What are we going to do after bible study?"
Me: "After bible study we are going to bed?"
Asher: "What are we going to do after we go to bed?"

At this point I was exhausted from trying to answer all of his questions without getting frustrated. I finally said, "Buddy, you don't need to worry about what we are going to do tomorrow- just enjoy today." I felt like the Lord was looking down at me with a smile and saying, "Hey- you too missy. Enjoy today and do not worry about tomorrow." As a mom I just want my children to enjoy the moment that they are in and not worry about the future. From my time in the Word I know that this also is God's heart as our Father. He wants us to be content in the season we are in, not anxious or worried about seasons that have not come yet. I pray that I can learn from this interaction with my son and simply enjoy today and walk in thankfulness.

"Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?"
~Matthew 6:25-27

"Now godliness with contentment is great gain."
~1 Timothy 6:6

No comments:

Post a Comment