Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Psalm 107: Thankfulness

Thankfulness. This attitude is sometimes hard to come by these days. Our culture is so easily suckered into the mindset that contentment awaits us when we acquire the "next" thing. For so many years, I believed the lie that I would be fully satisfied when I got ____. When Sonny and I were dating, I would think "If only we can get engaged, I will be content and satisfied in the Lord." When we got engaged, I thought, "If only we can get married, I will be content and satisfied in the Lord." Then we got married and I heard the same lie coming into my head regarding children, "If only I can have children, then I will be content and satisfied in the Lord." Right then, I felt the Lord speak to me. Be content now. I don't remember sensing that the Lord was angry at all with me, just that He wanted me to realize that He had so much more for me. Going through all of our miscarriages also redefined contentment for me. The Lord graciously showed me that He wanted me to be fully satisfied and thankful just to be His bride and He did not want me to love anyone or anything else the way that I loved Him. It was such a difficult season (as I have often said before) but it was so great for my intimacy with Christ. I remember finally getting to the place in the summer of 2008 where it all "clicked." The Lord wants each of us to be content right now, in the season that we are currently in. He wants us to seek Him and be fully satisfied in Him now, not on the condition that tomorrow we will be in a new season. 1 Timothy 6:6 says that "godliness with contentment is great gain." How true! To seek Him without strings attached is so freeing. Though I have still struggled with this from time to time, it is now easier for me to realize when I am falling into that trap and I ask the Lord to help me overcome that struggle. Whatever season we are in now is one that the Lord wants to use to grow and strengthen us in Him. Let us not rush ahead to the next season and miss some great experiences that He wants to take us through. With that said... let us be thankful for our current season and have open hearts to the wisdom He is trying to give us now... my prayer for us today is...

"Oh that men would give thanks to the Lord for His goodness, And for His wonderful works to the children of men."
Psalm 107: 8, 15, 21, 31


Today, I am thankful for my sweet little family. I know that I do not deserve them. How incredibly kind is the Lord?




















No comments:

Post a Comment