Saturday, October 20, 2012

Marriage Ministry...


Being married is an incredible gift. It is also a ministry. A husband is called to lay down his life to love his wife the way Christ loved the church and gave His life for her. A wife is called to respect and submit to her husband as he is the head of the family as Christ is the head of the church. When a couple does this through the power of the Spirit, it is simply beautiful and refreshing. As a wife, I feel it is my calling to be my husbands biggest fan. I want him to know that I think he is wonderful- not just when others are around, but all the time. I love trying to make his day special and having the kids join me in showering him with love as much as we can. Every day is a gift and we try very hard not to take it for granted.

With all of that said, I definitely have days where I fail miserably to be the joyful and encouraging wife that I so desire to be. Today was one of those days. The kids woke up very early and I had not slept well because Sonny was out of town visiting his dad. We also had my parents dogs at our house for a day which just adds a few more things to care for. Sonny called me this morning to let me know that he was on his way home from his dad's in Wharton and asked if I needed anything. I told him that we were almost out of dog food for the puppies and that I was out of my health drink (kombucha). I said that the only thing we really needed was the dog food and I could get my drinks later. He showed up about an hour later and walked in to a very frustrated wife. I had been making pumpkin muffins and ended up stepping in something warm and mushy. I knew right away that Little Bit (my parents little puppy) had pooped... and I stepped in it. It had been a long morning. We hugged and then he told me he forgot to get me all the things I mentioned to him. I sighed... and pouted a little... "ok... I'll go later." I continued cleaning the kitchen floor as he greeted the kids. When I was turned around, he went back out to his car and came in with a few grocery bags (with dog food and kombucha) and a bouquet of beautiful fall flowers! I love flowers... and fall colored ones- LOVELY!! He had a huge smile on his face and said, "or maybe I didn't forget... I know you love fall flowers. I love you." I think I cried a little. He is the biggest encouragement to me. He knew I was having a tough day and went out of his way to make me feel so incredibly loved and cherished. The verse that came to my mind right when I saw the flowers was...

"and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds..." ~Hebrews 10:24

I felt so encouraged and loved. While marriage can have it's tough seasons, if we can each try to "outdo" the other in love, it is the most incredible blessing. When one is weak, the other can strengthen and encourage! What an incredible blessing the gift of marriage is.

No comments:

Post a Comment