Thursday, February 23, 2012

Tennis!!

When I was younger, my Dad really wanted me to become a professional tennis player. I think I started playing tennis seriously when I was about 4 or 5. By the time I was about 8 I was competing regularly in tournaments. At the time I had a love/hate relationship with tennis. I loved winning but didn't like to practice. I played at least 5 times a week until I was about 12 years old. I remember my dad telling someone that if he could get me to like tennis as much as I enjoyed babies, I would go pro!! I was ranked by the time I was 11 or 12 but then I got burnt out. I stopped playing in 6th grade and took a 2 year break. I realize now that I should have been so much more grateful to my parents for paying for all those lessons and tournaments. By the time I went back in 8th grade I could still play but had lost a lot of momentum. I think I was just a rebellious kid who did not want to do what her parents thought was best. I should have spent more time enjoying the game and maybe I could have gotten a scholarship. Maybe. Oh- well... now I just enjoy it from time to time for fun. Sonny really likes to play me because I am a big challenge for him (neither of us are really good right now because we do not play enough). We decided that it was time to take our mini-Howards out for some tennis lessons. They were SO excited about their rackets that Daddy bought for them. That's as far as their tennis excitement went.... Asher hit the ball about 3 times and then wanted to play with his cars. Zoee enjoyed chasing the balls but had no idea what to do with the racket. We ended up having a good time. It was nice to just be outside and getting exercise. Sonny and I "played" for a while (we had to stop almost every minute to help the kids with snacks/cars/water/runny noses so there was not much tennis going on). After "tennis," we took them to the park to make sure they were exhausted before nap time.

It was a great family day! I look forward to many more Howard tennis games! Here are some pics from the day. Asher has been camera shy lately so please excuse his "thrilled" face...






No comments:

Post a Comment