Friday, September 23, 2011

Stressful day conviction...


I choose this picture because Zoee's expression in this picture describes how I have felt much of today (even though it is not even noon!!) This is Zoee and her little friend Kinley in the double jogging stroller after the Mommys went for a run.

So today has just been one of those crazy days. The weather was so nice this morning that I thought I could go for my run early and have the kids eat breakfast in the double jogging stroller while I ran. The run went great but then I decided to take the kids to the park after the run and Zoee decided that she was upset. She cried from the park all the way home in the stroller (it was only for about 5 minutes but seemed like 30). Then Ash accidentally got mud on the carpet, Zoee spit up, I broke a glass cup while unloading the dishwasher... it was just one of those mornings where it seemed like everything was going to go wrong. I have really been trying to take every thought captive and think of the Lord all throughout the day but I often fail to do this when my circumstances don't go the way I'd planned.

I put Zoee down for a morning nap and put a movie on for Ash so I could read a little in the Word. I am in 2nd Samuel and today the story of Michal, David's wife came up (2 Samuel 6). She was originally in love with David and became his wife. Then her father took her from David and gave her to another man who she apparently fell in love with. Then David wanted her back and since he was king, he took her from her new husband to be one of his many wives. And I think my day is stressful!!! Anyways, I was a little confused at how God punished her for being a bitter wife. The Word says that she "despised David in her heart" and when he came home from worshipping the Lord, she nagged him about how he was worshipping. The chapter ends with saying that she died without having children (which was considered God's punishment in those days). So, we can conclude that the Lord did not want her to act this way- even though her life was tough and her circumstances were not how she planned, God was not okay with her having a bitter spirit. Her circumstances did not excuse her attitude in the Lord's eyes.

What a lesson for me today. I often excuse my attitude because I think my circumstances are hard. I can't do that. It is not okay. Even on tough days, I am told to rejoice in the Lord. I hope that today we can all rejoice, even if everything is not exactly as we planned.

"Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!"
~Philippians 4:4

No comments:

Post a Comment