Thursday, March 24, 2011

Resting in the Lord



A while ago I was convicted about not resting in the Lord and once again, through reading Exodus and observing my son, I think the Lord wants me evaluate my rest. These pictures of Asher are not rare occasions. EVERY single day there will be at least a small segment of time where Asher will lay on the floor- WHEREVER we are (doctor's office, ceramic painting store, grandma's house)- and play with his cars. He is your average toddler that just goes and goes and goes but one thing he does so well is rest. He knows when he needs it too. He does not care where he is... when it is time for him to lay down and rest (and play quietly with his cars) he does it. I want to learn from my son. How many times are we rushing through our day knowing that we need to just get away for a few minutes and rest with the Lord? We just keep going though and often end up having melt-downs or even blowing up on other people. This past week I have tried to rest in the Lord at different times throughout the day. When Ash and Zoee are both content, I will just sit with them and read something in the Word (especially the Psalms). It has honestly helped me so much. Having this time with the Lord all throughout the day has made me a better mom and wife. I can see that I am not as easily frustrated- I am more patient and gentle and loving when I am making sure I am getting my rest with the Lord. Doing this is so hard for me though. When the kids are content I feel this huge pull to be "busy" and get things done... do more laundry... do more dishes...clean something... It is my hope that I will continue to be able to have these times of rest throughout the day so that I can continue to be refreshed and joyful in the work that the Lord has called me to do. I see now why even Jesus needed to get away with the Father in order to gain strength for the tasks that He was called to accomplish. If Jesus needed to get away and be refreshed, how much more do we need it?

No comments:

Post a Comment